Sunday, January 9, 2011

What's For Supper? Meatloaf!

Clean meatloaf that is.

This recipe is one of my favorite clean eating recipes from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook. As I made it tonight, I'd thought I'd share it with you.

Now, be forewarned, this recipe takes a bit of prep. It's not something you can quickly whip together after a work day. I usually save it for Sunday dinners. Why? Because two ingredients have to be made before. One is cooked brown rice. I made a big pot of it on Friday as it takes forever to cook and I throw it in a lot of stuff (my favorite - tuna and brown rice sandwiches). The other ingredient that needs to be made beforehand is yogurt cheese.

Yogurt cheese is just yogurt with a lot of liquid drained off. It looks like cream cheese. To make it, set a strainer lined with 4 layers of cheese cloth in a bowl. Dump some yogurt in there and let it sit overnight. Tada, you have yogurt cheese. It should look something like this.

Yogurt Cheese

Notice all the liquid in the bowl. I made this up Saturday night so I was all set to make meatloaf today.

The rest of the ingredients.

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 c. brown rice, cooked
1 egg
3/4 c. yogurt cheese
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper, any color
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano

I also sneak some mushrooms in there but don't tell RDog (he doesn't like them).

My tip for chopping onions . . .

Mini chop

. . . a Cuisinart Mini Chopper. This was a wedding present and I use it all the time.

I have a confession; I hate to touch meat. For this recipe you really have to get up close and personal with the meat to mix it all up. My solution; latex gloves.

Touching meat - yuck


All ready to go in the oven. Bake it at 350 for an hour.

Meatloaf
To go with the meatloaf, I cut some sweet potatoes in half and brushed them with olive oil.

Sweet Potatoes

I cooked them for an hour too and then scooped out the yummy potato. I do this to avoid doing a lot of potato cutting. Sweet potatoes are hard to cut! I also steamed up some frozen veggies.

The end result.

Supper

And then I topped it all off with desert; a square of dark chocolate.

Mmmmm. . . my belly is happy tonight.

7 comments:

  1. I'm getting hungry already! I know what you mean about sweet potatoes -- always use a heavy cutting board and a large chef's knife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm! Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I love sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I'm the same way with meat - I wear disposable gloves too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiffy, I'm glad I'm not the only one! My family makes fun of me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish. I'll have to try this one. I make meatloaf every week or two, but usually use ground turkey and put all kinds of veggies. Sweet potatoes are my favorite too....time to plan your menu for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete