Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cleaning out the closet

Today I received my latest order from Martin & Osa. As I was hanging up my new treasures, I realized that my closet will not hold any more clothes. One more clothes hanger will literally not fit on the closet's hanging bar. "Oh well," I though to myself, "I'll just use my second closet." I went to that closet, opened the door and had a pile of little-used clothing fall on me. This closet was also full. "This is bad," I thought, "very bad."

Faced with the choice of giving up shopping or cleaning out my closet, I went with the big clean. Here are the results:
I am the type of person who does not like to throw out clothes. I think it stems back to my childhood where I didn't have a lot of new-to-me clothing. Most of my outfits were hand-me-downs or from second hand stores. I rarely had anything "brand name" as my mom called it. For me growing up, Gap was a fancy brand name. Now that I'm all grown up and have the means to buy "brand name" clothes, I never want to get rid of them once I get them. Even if they are 4 sizes too large.

Last year I went on a hard core pre-wedding diet. It all started when I ordered my dream wedding dress off of Ebay for a fraction of its retail price. I ordered it in a size 12, my normal size. Little did I know that wedding dress sizes run drastically different than normal sizes. My dream dress was actually a size 6. I was determined to wear this dress and had always regretted the extra pounds I had put on since university. I had the perfect motivation to lose weight and I did it. I followed Tosca Reno's eat clean diet to a tee and lost 25 pounds in 6 months. The dress fit!

The point of that long rambling story is that I could not bear to throw out my old clothes even when I lost all that weight. I told myself that they might be good when I get "knocked up" as I affectionaly call it. Tonight as I dug through my second closet and stumbled upon a pile of "fat" clothes, I decided I was never going to wear them again. When babymaking time comes, knowing my love of shopping, I know I will want some cute maternity clothing. All the big clothes are in the bag and hitting the Salvation Army tomorrow.

Now I have room in my closet for more clothing. That was a close call; I thought I might have to actually have to give up shopping for awhile. On a related note, Martin & Osa is having an extra 30% off sale. This dress is calling my name. Now I have a place to put it.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, i used to feel the EXACT same way. I lost about 30 pounds a few years ago but held onto all of my bigger clothes, *just in case* i gained the weight back, got preggo, etc. My husband nearly forced me to get rid of everything. His argument to my pleas? "Well, if you gain weight (which you won't) or get pregnant (hopefully not soon), we'll get you new clothes!" I have taken so many bags to the Salvation Army, given stuff to friends, sold stuff on ebay...and I am STILL finding items that I won't let go of! It's good to know someone else shares my feelings :) Good job on the purging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the closet clean out - it always feels so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love closet cleaning! That dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete